Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Apologist Accepted

I've often wondered why I feel this need to defend my faith using pure reason and logic. I constantly feel like I have to argue my position to friends and family who are non-believers. If I could just dazzle them with some superior argument that shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a God, that Jesus was the son of God, that Jesus died for our sins, was resurrected and that he is the only way to heaven etc etc - they would not be able to resist.

A couple weeks ago I attended a really amazing Women's conference - Women of Faith - which I highly recommend to all Christian women, women who want to know more about the Christian life or women who just want to be inspired by some truly phenomenal speakers!

Everytime I attend this conference, I come away with several nuggets of truth. One that really struck my heart was a song by Nichole Nordeman - "What If", which she wrote for a friend who thinks this Jesus stuff is nuts.

Like me, and maybe like you, Nichole Nordeman felt this constant pressure to be an apologist for her faith...to reason her non-believing friend into submission. But it doesn't work that way. And maybe that's the point. Having faith exposes the limitation of pure reason and logic...it leaves room for those "what if" questions. Its not up to me to convince non-believers to have faith - I can't do that. All I can do is share my journey, present the Gospel and pray for the holy spirit to do His work.

Comments:
...I can't do that. All I can do is share my journey, present the Gospel and pray for the holy spirit to do His work.

Of course, in doing the above, apologetics comes into play.

I'm not sure what you mean when you state "need to defend my faith using pure reason and logic." If its what I think you mean, I wonder where you would've picked this up. The conclusion you had come to that they "would not be able to resist" is simply false. We are more than rational creatures. But, to dismiss the mind is equal wrong and dare I say, sinful.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?